The Fresno County Sheriff-Coroner’s Office Jail Division will provide jail tours only to persons or groups with professional or academic interests, e.g., dignitaries, law enforcement, court officials, college-level criminal justice majors or law students, etc. If the tour request is for students, the course instructor must make the request and attend the tour. Touring of the facility is a privilege, not a right – Tours are given at the discretion of the Sheriff and Fresno County Jail has the right to refuse entrance to any person or group.
Tours of the Jail facilities are available on a scheduled basis.
Groups and organizations wishing to schedule a tour may contact Jail staff at (559) 600-8726, Tuesday-Friday between the hours of 6:00 am and 4:30 pm. (Tours may be arranged for alternative times.)
Any person requesting a tour should be aware of the following:
- The Fresno County Sheriff's Office maintains a NO HOSTAGE facility and will not consider bargaining with hostage takers for ANY reason.
- All participants are required to complete and sign an Agreement Assuming Risk of Injury or Damage Waiver and Release of Claims form. A complete list of all tour members’ names, accompanied by the signed waiver forms must be submitted prior to the tour. No member of the tour shall be permitted entry into the facility without a signed waiver form. Visiting guests under the age of eighteen (18) must have parental permission and a waiver form completed by their parent or guardian prior to entry. Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Members of the group must dress in compliance with the Visitor Dress Code. Dresses and skirts should be discouraged (unsuitable when touring the elevated exercise yard). Comfortable and sensible walking shoes are recommended.
- All members of the group must clear the metal detector or they will not be permitted access into the facility.
- Purses, backpacks briefcases, cell phones and other personal effects will not be allowed into the secured areas of the facility.
- The Jail is frequently a hostile, unpredictable and unpleasant environment. Tour members may be subjected to vulgar and/or obscene manners of communication.
- Tours are subject to cancellation without notice by the Watch Commander should it be determined that safety and/or staffing levels are inadequate to conduct tours for the day.
- The number of persons permitted on a tour will be determined at the discretion of the Watch Commander. Groups that exceed ten (10) persons will be divided into smaller groups.
The Jail Division is proud of its facility operations, and the professionalism of the correctional staff assigned to maintain the care and custody of persons incarcerated in Fresno County.