Because you and your children are so important to us we have placed a few basic tips to help keep you and your children safe.
- Walk your neighborhood with your children. Show them safe places they can go in an emergency, like a neighbor’s house, a McGruff Safe House, or an open store. Make sure they are taking the safest route to and from school.
- Check your neighborhood for areas that threaten children’s safety.
- Wooded areas.
- High shrubbery.
- Abandoned buildings.
- Bad lighting in certain areas.
- Make sure children know their full name, address, and phone number and how to make an emergency phone call both from home and at public facilities.
- Never leave young children home alone, and older children should know how to reach a parent at all times.
- Thoroughly check the references and background of all daycare and babysitters.
- Talk to your children about stranger danger and good touch bad touch.
- Make your children know they can come to you and tell you anything.
- Always know where your kids are, and whom they are with.
- Set a good example, remember children learn more by example than words.
For a more comprehensive child safety guide, please visit: https://www.safehome.org/home-safety/child-safety-guide/