Off-Road Safety Team

This is a collateral duty. Assigned officers are called to action when necessary.


Laws for the OHV Operator

OHV Registration Requirements. In order to operate any type of motorized vehicle off-road on public land, you must have one of the following:

  • A green or red sticker issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
  • A non-resident OHV permit.
  • A street-legal license plate for four-wheel drive vehicles and dual-purpose motorcycles.

Safe Operation. You may not drive an OHV in a manner that endangers the safety of other persons or their property. No OHV shall exceed 15 mph within 50 feet of any campground, concentration of people or animals.

Mufflers. All motorcycles must be equipped with a U.S. Forest Service approved and working spark arrester and muffler.

Lighting. OHV's operated between sunset and sunrise must have at least one headlight that allows the operator to see for 200 feet and one red taillight visible for 200 feet.

Crossing paved roads. Two-lane highways may be crossed at right angles to the direction of the highway.

Alcohol. It is illegal to possess an open container of an alcoholic beverage while riding or operating an off-highway vehicle.

Please remember these are only a partial list of laws pertaining to OHV riders. For a complete listing, see Division 16.5 of the California Vehicle Code available at DMV offices.

Contact Information

Lieutenant Devins
(559) 600-8039
FAX:  (559) 292-6284
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Helpful Links


Scroll to Top