- The sport of cycling has the second largest number of participants in the world.
- Cycling is experiencing major growth in the United States.
- A new generation of Americans are taking up the sport in record numbers. With more than 95 million participants, cycling now outranks golf, tennis, and skiing as the most popular sporting activity in the country. Adult cyclists outnumber children 51 million to 44 million and college students are the fastest growing segment.
- Second only to soccer in worldwide participation, cycling is considered the best organized general recreation sport in the United States.
- The image of cycling is one of health and vitality and cities that are involved in world class cycling events have reported significant tangible revenue and image enhancement from their involvement.